COVID-19 Links & Resources

COVID-19 Links & Resources

It’s a tricky period ahead, so we’ve put together a list of links and resources to help you through this period. From hints and tips to staying in touch to websites and resources for when your feeling that little bit down.

Remember that the entire world is in this together, and there is an ending!


Find new ways to connect with friends and family, examples of Skype, Zoom or House Party

Keep your daily routine as consistent as possible.

Be kind to yourself

Cut back on reading or looking at media relating to the Coronavirus.

Make sure you have enough of any medication you may be on.

Make sure you have enough of any medication that you may be taking.

Support organisations

YoungMinds Crisis Messenger

  • Provides free, 24/7 crisis support across the UK if you are experiencing a mental health crisis
  • If you need urgent help text YM to 85258
  • All texts are answered by trained volunteers, with support from experienced clinical supervisors
  • Texts are free from EE, O2, Vodafone, 3, Virgin Mobile, BT Mobile, GiffGaff, Tesco Mobile and Telecom Plus.


The Mix

  • Information, support and listening for people under 25.
  • Phone 0808 808 4994 (24 hours)
  • Get support online


  • 24 hour confidential listening and support for anyone who needs it. (Adults included.)
  • [email protected]
  • Phone 116 123 (24 hours)

Reputable websites for information on Coronavirus/Covid-19

WHO information:

NHS information:

UK government updates: 

NHS information on coronavirus

Info on social distancing and protecting the vulnerable

 Benefit information


Anxiety UK (resources):

Ambitious about Autism:

The Student Room:


Self-isolation at University

Education and Exam info

The Department for Education has opened a helpline to answer questions about COVID-19 related to education. Staff, parents and young people can contact the helpline: 0800 046 8687; [email protected]


Tenancy Rights

Working from home

Information taken from Disability Rights UK Corona e-news special March 2020

Disability Rights UK

14 East Bay Lane
Here East, Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park
Stratford, London E20 3BS
United Kingdom

0330 995 0400

General guidance on Coronavirus

An easy read guide to Coronavirus can be found here:


A comprehensive guide to the latest government guidance, topic by topic, can be found here:

Information on symptoms, what the virus does, and what to do if you think you may have it, can be found here:

Citizens Advice has also issued guidance for people needing help at this time. You can find it here:

And here:

Social welfare law updates can be found here:


Face to face benefits assessments have been cancelled for (at least) three months. More information can be found here:

The Government’s has published guidance on Statutory Sick Pay, job centre appointments, health assessment appointments, changes to Universal Credit and Working Tax Credits, Local Housing Allowances and Housing Benefit here:

For the first seven days off work, employees can self-certify so they don’t need any evidence for their employer. After that, employers may ask for evidence of sickness absence. Where this is related to having symptoms of coronavirus or living with someone who has symptoms, the isolation note can be used to provide evidence of the advice to self-isolate.

People who need to claim universal credit or employment and support allowance because of coronavirus will not be required to produce a fit note or an isolation note.

In addition, the government advises that the note can be accessed through the NHS website and NHS 111 online, and that:

“’After answering a few questions, an isolation note will be emailed to the user. If they don’t have an email address, they can have the note sent to a trusted family member or friend, or directly to their employer. The service can also be used to generate an isolation note on behalf of someone else.’”

Other welfare benefit changes include:

– Increasing the universal credit standard allowance and the working tax credit basic element by £20 a week for the next 12 months.

– Suspending the minimum income floor for everyone affected by the economic impacts of coronavirus.

– The rule that means statutory sick pay (SSP) is not paid for the first three days of work missed because of sickness absence with (retrospective effect from 13 March 2020);

– Raising the ‘generosity’ of housing benefit and universal credit, so that the local housing allowance will cover at least 30% of market rents in an area.

– Removing the universal credit minimum income floor rule for the self employed.

New PIP, ESA and Attendance Allowance claimants will have priority for telephone and paper-based disability assessments to ensure access to support

The DWP has announced that there no requirement to attend jobcentre appointments for three months,

However, jobcentres will remain open and will continue to support people who cannot go online or use the phone to make claims or get support.

Turn2Us is a useful website to find out more about benefits:


The Ministry of Housing and Communities has announced plans for emergency legislation to suspend evictions from social or private rented accommodation. More information about the announcement can be found here:


Support for self-employed people is so far minimal. If you’re self-employed, claiming Universal Credit and having to stay at home because of COVID-19, the minimum income floor rules do not apply. From 6 April there will be a “temporary relaxation” of minimum income floor rules, and self-employed people claiming Universal Credit will not have to attend job centre appointments to demonstrate what their work is. There has been additional support promised for self-employed workers but no details yet.

If you’re self-isolating due to COVID-19 you can get SSP from day one off work, rather than day four. There have been plans announced to support the income of people out of work due to COVID-19 through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, but that does not cover self-employed workers, and is applied for employers. If you’re not eligible for statutory sick pay you can apply for Universal Credit and/or Employment and Support Allowance.

The government has issued information for employees here:

and information for employers here:

Matt Devonshire